Charlotte Mother Of 4 Boys Loses Another Son To Gunfire
It is unimaginable for a parent to lose a child; and unbearable for a mother to lose not one, but two children to gun violence. A Charlotte (NC) mother is mourning the loss of her 17-year-old son who was shot and killed over the weekend. (July 8)
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department says Savion Lockhart was with friends Saturday evening when he and two others were shot. Lockhart died on the way to the hospital.
Friends and family say Lockhart had just graduated from South Meck High School about a month ago. And that he had recently signed up for the military.
Lockhart’s fatal shooting is eerily similar to his brother’s death. It was two years ago almost to the day the Travell Moore was shot and killed in a neighborhood in South End. He was 17 as well at the time of his death.
WSOC-TV reports the community is rallying around Lockhart’s mother to support her, especially with the financial burder. A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to help cover funeral costs. The goal is set at $3,000. and so far, 90% of the goal has been reached.
It’s an emotional and financial burden no parent should face, so Dudley said she created a GoFundMe to help cover funeral costs.
Police continue to investigate the shooting. No suspects or arrests at this writing.