Dishin’ With Debbie-Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
I love a good slow cooker meal, especially on weeknights after a long day at work. I created this one by just throwing ingredients in that sounded good. After it was finished, I realized how really versatile it could be. I chose to pile mine on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce and top it with jalapenos and sour cream. But, it would be fantastic in a flour tortilla eaten as a taco. It could be shredded and rolled into corn tortillas and placed in a casserole dish topped with shredded cheese and baked like enchiladas. There was enough flavorful liquid in the cooker that I could see it converted to a soup by adding corn, beans, rice and crispy tortilla strips. Add more queso, and it becomes a slow cooker dip with chips!
- 1-2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 cans Rotel tomatoes
- 1/2 jar store bought queso
- taco seasoning (or make your own, which I usually do)
- 4-5 T roasted hatch chile salsa
- 1 T adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional for smoky heat)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- optional toppings or serving ideas such as rice, beans, tortillas, lettuce wraps, sour cream, jalapenos, additional salsa or taco sauce
Place the chicken in slow cooker and sprinkle with taco seasoning on both sides. Pour in the Rotel tomatoes. Spoon the queso, adobo sauce and salsa over the chicken. Pour in 1/4-1/2 cup chicken or vegatble broth. Cook on low 5-6 hours. Serve over rice with beans or as a filling for tortillas or lettuce wraps.