South Carolina Named One of the Worst States for Women
It’s no secret that we’re still a long way from gender equality in 2023 and South Carolina found itself on the list of worst states for women. While women outnumber men in most states, making up nearly 51% of the U.S. population, they represent more than two-thirds of all minimum-wage workers in the country. Where women live can make a big difference in the opportunities available to them, and new research tells us where females are treated most fairly.
Just in time for Women’s History Month, which is March, WalletHub has just released its annual list of the Best and Worst States for Women.
- They compared the 50 states and Washington, D.C. across 25 key indicators of living standards for women, in two main areas: Economic & Social Well-Being and Health Care & Safety.
- WalletHub ranked the states on things like average earnings for women, women’s preventative healthcare, job security, share of women-owned businesses and share of physically active women.
- Based on all of that, Vermont tops the list this year, with a score of 75.68 out of 100. It comes in second for Women’s Economic & Social Well-Being and third for Health Care & Safety.
- Minnesota, which is fourth overall, is first for Economic & Social Well-Being, while Massachusetts, third overall, is number one for Health Care & Safety.
- On the flip side, Oklahoma lands at the bottom, making it the worst state for women. It’s dead last for Economic & Social Well-Being and second to last for Health Care & Safety. South Carolina is one of the worst states for women.
The 10 Best States for Women in 2023
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
- Rhode Island
- New Jersey
The 10 Worst States for Women in 2023
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
- Check out where your state lands here