4 Simple Steps To Pick The Perfect Watermelon
Now that we are well into the summer season, one of my favorite fruit go-to’s is watermelon. And there’s nothing like starting your search for the perfect watermelon, to then think you found it and only learn you didn’t. In fact, it’s not luscious at all. It’s not even ripe.
Well, after some research, I now know how to pick the perfect watermelon. And it’s not as difficult as I thought. In the past, I’ve always just grabbed the first watermelon that ‘looked’ good. Little did I know, there’s a method to the madness. Here a few common mistakes made when picking out watermelon.
Common Mistakes Made In Picking Watermelon
- Giant white spot – doesn’t mean it’s a sweet watermelon. In fact, it’s the exact opposite – little to NO taste
- Nice and shiny – really means it’s NOT ripe at all
- Elongated (long in shape) – the melon is watery (more water, than sweetness)
- Small webbing – bland in taste
With all that said, there are some sure ways to make sure you’re picking the perfect melon.
4 Steps To Picking The Perfect Watermelon
- Look or a dark and dull watermelon – it’s ripe
- Uniform in size and heavy – it’s sweet
- Large webbing – it’s sweet
- Find orange field spot – it’s full of flavor as it’s spent more time on the ground getting ripe
Sources: NC Watermelon Association, Eagle Eye Produce