Child Bitten By Poisonous Snake At North Carolina Zoo
It’s not the zoo animals you need to be wary of. A scary incident occurred last week at the North Carolina Zoo. A child was bitten by a poisonous snake at the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro. The unnamed 5-year-old child was bitten by a copperhead on Thursday according to reports from WSOC-TV as well as WFMY News 2. The incident took place in the Kidzone area of the zoo, which is located in the North America section. The area was closed temporarily following the bite. As for the child, they are doing ok. They were first treated onsite by the zoo’s trained staff and then transferred to the hospital.
The area of the zoo where the incident occurred has been temporarily closed for investigation, the Zoo said. https://t.co/7MK6OWhPln— WFMY News 2 (@WFMY) June 12, 2023
The article from WSOC-TV also reports that the staff at the zoo is trained to deal with these incidents and remove the creatures. Copperheads are native to this area and are often seen especially in the warmer summer months. I came across one in my parents’ garage a few years ago, and let’s just say it was taken care of quickly and is no longer a threat. I visited the NC Zoo a few months ago and can confirm that there are signs warning guests of the possibility of venomous snakes. It appears that the child bitten by the copperhead snake at the North Carolina Zoo is doing ok. It’s a sad and scary situation, that hopefully doesn’t happen again. Though it is a freak accident that really is the fault of no one.
Located in Asheboro, NC the North Carolina Zoo is the largest walkthrough zoo encompassing 810+ hectares. It houses more than 1,600 animals. It’s located in Asheboro, NC just an hour and a half drive from both Charlotte and Raleigh.