Beasley Media Group and our partners, along with the NC State Highway Patrol, have joined forces to educate the community about the dangers of texting and driving. Our objective is clear and simple: change the behavior of drivers who text while behind the wheel. No text message is worth risking a life.
One text or call – could wreck it all. Our mission is to spread awareness of the dangers of distracted driving. Let’s keep our community safe!
Distracted driving is a dangerous thing, and education is key. No text message is worth risking a life. Help spread the word to not text and drive.
- North Carolina prohibits ALL drivers from texting or reading a text message while a vehicle is in motion. Exceptions include Those performing in official duties such as law enforcement officers, a member of a fire department or the operator of a public or private ambulance.
- Penalty: A $100 fine plus court fees of at least $188. The violation will not add points to your driving record and an insurance will be assessed.
April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month
Thousands die needlessly each year because people continue to use their cell phones while driving, handheld or hands-free. Join the National Safety Council this April in urging those you care about to:
- Stop using cell phones while driving
- Recognize that hands-free devices offer no safety benefit
- Understand the dangers of the cognitive distraction to the brain
- Inform people who call you while driving that you'd be happy to continue the conversation once they have reached their destination
- Tell others about the dangers of cell phone distracted driving
How you can get involved:
National Distracted Driving Awareness Month was introduced as a resolution in 2010 by former Rep. Betsy Markey (D-CO) and passed by the U.S. House of Representatives in a 410-2 vote on March 23, 2010. The resolution mentions 9-year-old Erica Forney, who was struck and killed by a distracted driver in Fort Collins, CO, in November 2008. Erica’s mother, Shelley Forney, is a founding board member of Focus Driven - Advocates for Cell-free Driving.
Distracted Driving Resources: